[Dbix-class] First Manual::RealWorld entry

Rob Kinyon rob.kinyon at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 23:10:25 GMT 2009

All -

    I've started a branch called "manual" for writing up the RealWorld
manual that's been bandied about in #dbix-class for the past few
weeks. The reason it's a branch and not in trunk as most manual fixes
are done is because I'd rather get it looking good first. Plus, I
don't want it released with the 08100 release unless it's ready.
Ready, to me, means more than just one entry.

    This is a first draft of the inheritance discussion. In
#dbix-class, the discussion of tables that inherit from each other
comes up at least 1x/week. So, I figured that was a good place to
discuss how to handle that in DBIC. I chose a Socratic dialogue in
order to allow for discussion of the various naive implementations and
why they wouldn't work. The names (Neo and Morpheus) need to be
changed - I'm open to suggestion. Not all the entries will be (or
should be!) Socratic dialogues. Any and all criticisms, please!

    Further planned entries include:
        * Tables with time intervals (The row should be row X if the
date is before A, row Y if it's between A and B, and row Z if it's
after B.)
        * Authorization schemes (User X shouldn't see rows with foo =
5, but User Y can.)
        * Anything else?

Rob