[Dbix-class] SQL::Abstract regression?

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon Jul 13 17:24:57 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Peter Rabbitson<rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:11:20AM -0500, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Rob Kinyon<rob.kinyon at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:52, Paul Makepeace<paulm at paulm.com> wrote:
>> > [snip]

>> > What do you expect to see?
>>
>> My question is what do _you_ expect to see?
>
> I expect to see exactly what you have pasted. Also being an ass will
> not take you very far with support.

Sorry I wasn't intending to come across as an ass - I had said in my
original email "specifically >here< is what looks wrong" so wasn't
sure what Rob was getting at. Knowing what he'd expect would help me
infer his intent.

>> I would fairly reasonably expect to produce SELECT
>> COUNT(publication_story.uid) AS story_count and not have that appear
>> in the FROM clause (?!)
>
> Read the SQL more carefully then.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. That clause is
appearing in a FROM clause whereas it should appear in the earlier
SELECT column list. Is that not how you're reading it?

>> This has been working until today when I upgraded, so a recent version
>> of $module has broken this.
>
> I need you to *manually* execute the following snippet against your
> database:
>
> SELECT COUNT( publication_story.uid ) AS
> story_count, me.uid, me.name, me.short_name, me.url, me.description,
> me.publication_type_uid, me.region_uid, me.channel_type_uid,
> me.circulation, me.ave1, me.ave2, me.comments FROM publication me
> WHERE ( ( name LIKE ? OR short_name LIKE ? ) ) GROUP BY me.uid ORDER
> BY name

(I filled in the ?s)

mysql> SELECT COUNT( publication_story.uid ) AS story_count, me.uid,
me.name, me.short_name, me.url, me.description,
me.publication_type_uid, me.region_uid, me.channel_type_uid,
me.circulation, me.ave1, me.ave2, me.comments FROM publication me
WHERE ( ( name LIKE '%red orbit%' OR short_name LIKE '%red orbit%' ) )
GROUP BY me.uid ORDER BY name;
ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'publication_story.uid' in 'field list'

> Let me know if the error persists or you get a somewhat reasonable
> result back.

It seems reasonable to error out there given that publication_story
doesn't appear in the FROM clause.

Paul