[Dbix-class] DBIx::Class, another data validation approach

Rob Kinyon rob.kinyon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 22:29:08 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:28, Alexander
Hartmaier<alexander.hartmaier at t-systems.at> wrote:
> The DBMS validates data types, length, undef and foreign keys anyway, so
> maybe using it as validator (parse its error messages) is a possibility?

The problem is that many DBMSes do -NOT- validate things sanely -
SQLite and MySQL being the biggest offenders, though every DBMS has
its problems. Oracle, for example, in 9.2.0.3 had an issue where
certain invalid datetime entries were accepted. Furthermore, part of
the benefit of an ORM is that it is DBMS-independent - I want to know
that the same value restrictions are going to be maintained regardless
of backend.

And, finally, the biggest win for validation is things that DBMSes
cannot do. For example, a SMALLINT that, for business reasons, has to
be within 20 of another column. How do you express that constraint in
a DBMS-independent fashion?

I, for one, cannot wait for our new Moose overlords!

Rob