[Dbix-class] SQL::Abstract : adding support for two potentially MySQL-specific functions

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Fri Sep 11 13:49:01 GMT 2009

Spiros Denaxas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently contacted Matt regarding SQL::Abstract and how to add support
> for two features which I *think* are MySQL specific:
>
> 1) REPLACE (more info: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/6.0/en/replace.html)
> 2) UPDATE statements on multiple tables (more info:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/6.0/en/update.html)

It didn't occur to me this morning, but you can define them locally via the
custom operator hooks:

http://search.cpan.org/~ribasushi/SQL-Abstract-1.58/lib/SQL/Abstract.pm#SPECIAL_OPERATORS
http://search.cpan.org/~ribasushi/SQL-Abstract-1.58/lib/SQL/Abstract.pm#UNARY_OPERATORS

SQLA 1.5 does not have a sane databse aware api, and focuses on ansi sql
at this point. Thus my reluctance to include this into the core of the module.

Dissenting thoughts of course are welcome :)