[Dbix-class] AuthN/AuthZ at the ORM Level?

Jeff Albert jralbert at uvic.ca
Fri Apr 9 17:08:41 GMT 2010

Although I've been deploying apps that rely on it for a while, I still feel=
 like a bit of a newbie as far as the architectural options for DBIx::Class=
 are concerned. I'd love to get the opinion of the list on one of these arc=
hitectural topics, as I'm just getting started on a new project and have a =
chance right now to do things 'right'.

So, like many folks, I'm writing an application that relies on DBIx::Class =
as its ORM, which will be accessible through a web application but also fro=
m other clients (a command line client, for example). As a matter of best p=
ractice, should I attempt to implement authentication and authorization in =
DBIC, so that all my clients are automatically made to endure  authN/authZ,=
 no matter their implementation; or should I force all interaction with the=
 application to go through the web app (ie, command-line client just makes =
HTTP calls) and centralize my authN/authZ there?

I appreciate any and all insight you can provide!

Cheers,
Jeff Albert