[Dbix-class] Excluding columns from a query

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Tue Feb 23 06:26:44 GMT 2010

fREW Schmidt wrote:
> And after I write this I am planning on writing a module for
> DBIx::Class::Helpers that will disable TEXT and BLOBs etc by default :-)

And what do you mean by that exactly?  Taken literally, it would exclude all
character string data, which is very common, and you'd basically be left with
numeric and date columns.  Perhaps you meant to say CLOBs rather than TEXT?  If
you mean only long text columns, then how you specify this varies greatly by
DBMS, some of which don't have a literal "TEXT" AFAIK; so what criteria are you
using to see if a character string column is short enough to include?  What is a
reasonable cutoff?  Or would you return all character string columns but
truncate them to some maximum length suitable for giving a preview? -- Darren Duncan