[Dbix-class] Unicode conversion problems

Matias E. Fernandez pisco at gmx.ch
Mon Jul 5 22:21:59 GMT 2010

Hello Jesse

On 2010-07-05, at 23:56, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> Sorry, let me revise that slightly: I do get the correct
> results, but preceded by "Wide character in print at
> foo-test2.pl line 22."

That's perfectly okay, please read perluniintro[1], perlunifaq[2] and the like!
If you are printing to a console, and that console is set up to expect UTF-8,
then you can use:

binmode(STDOUT, ":encoding(UTF-8)");

On this occasion I would like to recommend reading "The Absolute Minimum
Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode
and Character Sets (No Excuses!)"[3] by Joel Spolsky.

> That doesn't seem good.

Quite the contrary, it most definitely does! :-)

Regards
Matias E. Fernandez

[1] http://perldoc.perl.org/perluniintro.html#Perl's-Unicode-Model
[2] http://perldoc.perl.org/5.10.0/perlunifaq.html#What-is-a-%22wide-character%22%3f