[Dbix-class] Moose

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Sun Jul 18 17:49:56 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 02:40:47PM +0200, Leandro Hermida wrote:
> very good points and makes a lot of sense.  If I can ask a more general
> question then, why do ORMs exist in the first place and why are they so
> popular vs using a object persistence mechanism?  There must be some serious
> advantage to using them.

Because there yet does not exist a persistent object store, that can be
asked to fetch "all objects which have related objects whose attribute X
is Y", and which will do so by *transparrently* using native SQL methods
(namely GROUP BY over a joined resultset). Matt Trout is working on the
foundation of just such a "mapper", but this is a very very hard problem
to get right, so progress is slow.