[Dbix-class] Moose

David Ihnen davidihnen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 20:25:50 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Leandro Hermida <softdev at leandrohermida.com
> wrote:

>>> Hi, very sorry... I was speaking more in general about writing an
> OO-centric ORM and that it is difficult topic but that there are very well
> established open-source solutions like Hibernate and others in the space
> that one could draw inspiration or ideas from to build a Perl
> Moose/OO-centric ORM.  Why not look at how others have solved such techni=
cal
> issues?

Why not?

1. not as fun as designing your own solution
2. just because they did it doesn't mean they did it the best way
3. spending as much effort as it takes to understand their solution is
tiresome

Not to say any of those reasons are sufficient to warrant the behavior of
ignoring existing implementation patterns, but they ARE whys.  Particularly
when participating in open source development is about the engineering
process - because its fun and rewarding.  Its not about finding the best
patterns deriving from existing solutions.  We are not scientists, our time
to market is almost always critical.  The perception is that our time is
best served by developing directly - not spending unknown quantities of time
tangentially assessing the validity of other people's engineering so we can
harvest useful patterns from it.

> About the querying question, Hibernate and JPA (which I mentioned earlier)
> have their own query languages

Whoa.  Isn't that exactly what we're trying to avoid here?  Independent
query language syntacticals?

>  HQL and JPQL which somewhat resemble SQL but work with objects.  I would
> imagine a Moose-based DBIC would have one as well?

I would most emphatically scream, NO.  Just like DBIX::Class, the 'query
language' would be described through perlish data structures - no
independent syntax.  We have enough languages already!

> If you use HQL I believe you can actually make a query that fetches all
> objects who's related object's attribute X is Y, see here
> http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/3.3/reference/en/html/queryhql.html.
> I believe it translates HQL into SQL before making the query in a
> transparent way.

We have enough language syntaxes already.  We do not need to invent, YET
ANOTHER language.  I have very strong reservations regarding the
appropriateness of this kind of solution to the ORM problem.

David

-- =

"If only I could get rid of hunger by rubbing my belly" - Diogenes