[Dbix-class] Weird INSERT RETURNING error after updating to DBIx::Class .08121

Steve Kleiman steve at prodhub.com
Tue Jun 22 14:40:46 GMT 2010

Searched the archives on this and didn't see anyone else raise the issue....

Just upgraded to DBIx::Class .08121 of April 11, 2010.

I see in the Changelog:

> DBIx::Class
> 0.08121 2010-04-11 18:43:00 (UTC)
>         - Add core support for INSERT RETURNING (for storages that supports this syntax, currently PostgreSQL and Firebird)

I'm using Postgres. Before the update, a simple create query was dispatched as:
> INSERT INTO "project"."vendor_view" ( "name", "project", "classification_xref") VALUES ( 1277144170, 3819016, 10 );

That worked great and returned the newly created id. Cool.

After upgrading to DBIx::Class .08121, the SQL generated is now:
> INSERT INTO "project"."vendor_view" ( "name", "project", "classification_xref") VALUES ( 1277144170, 3819016, 10 ) RETURNING id

And that throws the error:
> ERROR:  cannot perform INSERT RETURNING on relation "vendor_view"
> HINT:  You need an unconditional ON INSERT DO INSTEAD rule with a RETURNING clause.

I've tried everything I can think of to alter my database views to cater to this new change, but I haven't gotten anywhere.

I see in DBIX::Class::Storage::DBI::Pg the comment:
> # only used when INSERT ... RETURNING is disabled
> sub last_insert_id {
> }

Seems to me I want to disable the RETURNING functionality to make the behavior like it was, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

-steve kleiman