[Dbix-class] DynamicSubclass and Preview: conflict?

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Sun May 2 20:15:44 GMT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 09:57:11AM +0200, Miquel Ruiz wrote:
> Just to try to solve it in the testing code, i have moved the
> subclasses' extra columns to the parent class, but it is still not working:
>
> Just to make it clearer: the 'deleted' column which the error is
> complaining about is not part of the app model, it is the 'deleted'
> column needed by Preview to work.

Right. Following you. DynamicSubclass isn't something I've ever used directly
- it's basically a cookbook recipe turned into a module and in my experience
your needs tend to rapidly hit the point where you're better off handling
the rebless dance yourself.

However, this should still work. So.

You're going to want to break stuff out into stages - first, get out of
Catalyst code and write yourself a t/ file for your app so once this does
work you can't accidentally break it again. Second, that file should do
new_result, then insert directly rather than using create(). Third, once
you've got that split you can see specifically what blows up. Then you can
start dumping $obj->result_source where $obj is either an rs or a row to
see which source you've ended up with where and why there's a problem.

If you can have a go at the above and then once you get stuck again post
your results we can chat about what those results mean and how to debug
this further.

Thanks very much for playing along so far - I'm aware it can be a trifle
frustrating but we -are- getting somewhere, albeit not as quickly as we
might have liked.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/

Email me now on mst (at) shadowcat.co.uk and let's chat about how our Catalyst