[Dbix-class] XS modules as DBIx::Class dependencies

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Mon Nov 29 16:29:48 GMT 2010

Nick Wellnhofer wrote:

> Since 0.08123 the Perl module Variable::Magic is an indirect dependency
> of DBIx::Class (via namespace::clean). Since 0.08124 it's a direct
> dependency. Unfortunately, Variable::Magic is an XS module. This makes
> it impossible to use DBIx::Class with many shared hosting providers.
>
> Is there a chance to revert the relevant changes or am I sadly out of luck?

Nope, plans are on the way. The main issue is lack of a pure-perl
namespace::clean, but work is being done on making one (pending tuits).
Note that Sub::Name is another XS dependency, and that too has a
workaround.

All in all - DBIC has not been XS-free for a very very long time, but
we plan to make it so (except of course for the DBI/DBD combo which
is normally provided anyway).

For the time being - don't upgrade.