[Dbix-class] any factual comparisons of Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL ?

Robert Kinyon rob.kinyon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:15:28 GMT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:52, Dami Laurent (PJ)
<laurent.dami at justice.ge.ch> wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> This is not a DBIC question, but since there are lots of database
> administrators from various platforms on this list, I hope to find some
> help.
>

> I have an important database migration project, aiming at replacing an old
> DBMS by something more up to date, for mission-critical applications. We are
> still at a very early phase of the selection process, but some of the
> requirements will be : high-availability , support for multi-values,
> fulltext search, data domains, inheritance, CHECK constraints and triggers.
> The short list of candidate DBMS  is likely to be Oracle, PostgreSQL and
> MySQL.

To hop further onto the "Bash MySQL" bandwagon, I'm a MySQL DBA. I
would never choose MySQL as a database if starting a new project from
scratch. The reasons have already been listed.

Oracle vs. PostgreSQL ... that's a money choice. If you can justify
the money for Oracle, get Oracle. But, Oracle is a space shuttle to
PostgreSQL's airplane. You could use a space shuttle to fly from New
York to Boston, and it would get you there very quickly once you got
in the air. But, the airplane is probably a better choice, all told.
That said, nothing else exists to get you into space. So, if you need
the absolute very best because your application is going to be dealing
with billions of dollars, use Oracle. Otherwise, PG is just fine.

Rob