Fwd: Re: [Dbix-class] any factual comparisons of Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL ?

Matija Grabnar matija at serverflow.com
Thu Apr 14 17:19:56 GMT 2011

> If you care about keeping your data consistent, do not use it. You can
> never rely on MySQL honoring constraints, so you have to do all your
> data integrity checking in the application. As a trivial
> demonstration, create a table with a NOT NULL Text column and then
> insert an empty row. MySQL will happily do as you say, putting an
> empty string in the Text column. It is possible to bludgeon MySQL into
> nearly being reliable, but it's not the default behavior and it will
> vanish at the slightest mistake.

I can see how people can like Postgresql more than MySQL - but this
statement is really going a bit too far.

Yes, you can put an empty string into a NOT NULL text column. You can
also put a zero
into a NOT NULL int column. Both are legitimate values for the type. And
no, mysql will NOT
accept a NULL value in a NOT NULL text column.

mysql> create table foo (a text not null);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.05 sec)
mysql> insert into foo values (NULL);
ERROR 1048 (23000): Column 'a' cannot be null
mysql> insert into foo values ('');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

There may be areas where Postgresql is better than MySQL, but at various
times I've found
MySQL to be vastly faster than Postgresql for the same data: Because I
knew I would be handling a LOT of data, I benchmarked both with a
real-life sample of my data and a real-life mix of operations on them. I
suggest that, if you're serious about picking the right database, you do
the same.