[Dbix-class] Large Oracle CLOBs

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sat Dec 31 16:33:49 GMT 2011

I've got an existing database that I'm (mostly) successfully using DBIx::Class with. There's a table with large CLOBs, though that's giving me some issues.

I can set LongReadLen to some huge value and things work (for now), but I know people are going to be pushing bigger files into the DB. I don't really have the option of just using the FS (which is what I would prefer), so I need to be able to handle arbitrarily large CLOBs (or BLOBs).

It seems like this is something others would have already solved, but perhaps my CPAN searching skills aren't very good. Something like DBIx::BLOB::Handle (but implemented as an InflateColumn or FilterColumn) would probably be perfect. For my needs, it would be fine to use DBD::Oracle-specific calls.

Ideally, calling code would get a filehandle that underneath is doing (ora_auto_lob = 0) ora_lob_read/ora_lob_write/ora_lob_append operations.

Any pointers, or thoughts before I start coding? I was pretty surprised I didn't find something that already does this in CPAN.

--
Daniel J. Luke