[Dbix-class] potential convert from rose::db

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 07:43:48 GMT 2011

From: "Jim Green" <student.northwestern at gmail.com>
> Hello,
> when I was reading about moose and orm I found dbic will be based on
> moose in next major release. I am currently using RDBO and was
> satisfied with it with some exceptions(no sybase support right now, no
> potential move to moose)..
>
> RDBO has performance advantage compared with DBIC according to this
> benchmark http://code.google.com/p/rose/wiki/RDBOBenchmarks. Since I
> like moose and would like to have a standard/popular orm with moose as
> base. Could anyone convince me that DBIC performance penalty is minor
> compared with its potential integration with moose, also with moose
> integration I guess the performance will be hit?
>
> Thanks!
> Jim.

If the most important thing is the performance, then I think you don't need
to use any ORM.

If other things are more important than the performance, (thinking that the
database access is the main cause of slowness, and not the SQL strings
generation), then you need to compare those things among the ORMs, and not
their speed.

Octavian