[Dbix-class] Relationship question/database structure

David Ihnen davidihnen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 18:34:24 GMT 2011

You're not thinking specifically enough.  The column which has the ID in it
is being used to store disparate types of information - a transaction note
identifier is a DIFFERENT type than a customer service event identifier -
but they're in the *same column*.  *hits the penalty buzzer*  bad dba.  ;)
 The DB is almost assuredly not constraint checking this column to make sure
that the proper record occurs in the proper foreign table.  *buzz*   This is
sloppy db design and is going to result in compromises in how you access it.

But relationships don't join on multiple columns.

As I said, you CAN create multiple belongs-to relationships, and as long as
your tableName column is included in your query (which is sloppy because it
should be encapsulated) then you're going to get the result you want.
Something like:

$caseresultset->search( { 'notes.TableName' =3D> 'cases' }, { join =3D> not=
es }
);

Also, you can chain resultsets - using a technique to create something like
this in your notes class

sub case_notes {
  return shift->search( { TableName =3D> 'case' } );
}

And query through the chain to find notes for the case.

my $cases =3D ...ResultSet('cases')->search( { case_id =3D> 5 }
)->notes->case_notes;

(which is sloppy because it should be encapsulated in the relationship
without you being explicit about it)

What you really have constructed is an abstract data store for instances of
note data, and each type of note data will have its *own* class - its not
immediately obvious to me if you can actually express that in DBIx::class -
I'm sure that eventually we will be able to do so.  Its complicated though,
and involves the idea of constraints on subqueries which is just outside the
purveyance of sql::abstract to my understanding of the system.

Whatever way you manage to munge DBIx::Class into handling this abstract
data store for note instance data i don't think its going to be as clean as
anybody would like, probably a little sloppy and/or ugly.  Its not the level
of problem the object relational mapper was designed to solve, though i'm
sure it will eventually be capable.  Patch?  ;)  (okay, that would probably
require a pretty significant level of changes...)

David

-- =

David Ihnen
Voice contact (562) 743-1807