[Dbix-class] Re: using as normal perl module

will trillich will.trillich at serensoft.com
Fri Jul 29 22:18:22 GMT 2011

Dave posted a good link with a straightforward example for DBIx::Class, have
you checked this out?

http://search.cpan.org/~abraxxa/DBIx-Class-0.08195/lib/DBIx/Class/Manual/Ex=
ample.<http://search.cpan.org/~abraxxa/DBIx-Class-0.08195/lib/DBIx/Class/Ma=
nual/Example.pod>
pod<http://search.cpan.org/~abraxxa/DBIx-Class-0.08195/lib/DBIx/Class/Manua=
l/Example.pod>

It's really pretty sweet.

One of the nice things about the Catalyst setup is that you don't have to do
the schema part by hand, as the example shows:

http://search.cpan.org/~abraxxa/DBIx-Class-0.08195/lib/DBIx/Class/Manual/Ex=
ample.pod#Set_up_DBIx::Class::Schema

Instead, Catalyst gives your app its own XXX_create.pl script to handle that
for you, once you have your tables and fields set up.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Adam,
>
> thank you. I am totally new to DB access using perl. I have looked at perl
> DBI and DBIx::Class. I can get up to speed on DBI comparatively easily i
> guess. (But), i want to start and stick to DBIx::Class, as i want to
> eventually use Catalyst. Catalyst prefers DBIx::Class, so wanted to start
> from it.
>
> when i saw CPAN for both I understood DBI methods easily and clearly
> compared to DBIx.
>
> use DBI;$dbh =3D DBI->connect($dsn, $user, $password,
>                       { RaiseError =3D> 1, AutoCommit =3D> 0 });
>

> where as in comparison i do not see (even in your example below) anything
> similar in DBIx case. (like)     use DBIx::Class; ... etc.
>
> hence the confusion.
>
> I am so new with using perl with DBI, I have no code yet written (sorry).
>
> Hence I was looking for something simple. which fetches data from tables,
> uses it and then stores some data into tables. as cgi script.
>
> thank you.
> Rajeev

-- =

"Don't just accept the benefits of civilization -- add to it. Extend it.
Preserve it." -- Jeff Greason