[Dbix-class] Undefined subroutine &DBIx::Class::Exception::catch

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 11:40:04 GMT 2012

Has anybody seen this eror message before?

  Undefined subroutine &DBIx::Class::Exception::catch

All my programs that use DBIx::Class on a particular machine have just
broken and now die with that error message.

The reason is undoubtedly connected with some module upgrades I
performed yesterday. I was trying to install a module with a lot of
dependencies (GraphViz2) and though I ultimately aborted the install
because of a perl version dependency, there were a lot of other modules
upgraded and indeed new modules installed as part of the dependencies.

So I'm pretty sure that there's now some version conflict, but given how
many modules were touched, I suspect it will take me a while to track
down. If anybody recognizes the source of the error, I'd appreciate a
pointer.

FWIW, I just went to the DBIx::Class build directory and ran

  make
  make test

make apparently completed OK. make test produces lots of results like
this random example:

t/storage/disable_sth_caching.t .................. Undefined subroutine
&DBIx::Class::Exception::catch called at
/root/.cpan/build/DBIx-Class-0.08124-HpDxQQ/blib/lib/DBIx/Class/Exception.pm
line 58.
Compilation failed in require at t/lib/DBICTest.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/lib/DBICTest.pm line 7.
Compilation failed in require at t/storage/disable_sth_caching.t line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/storage/disable_sth_caching.t line 6.
t/storage/disable_sth_caching.t .................. Dubious, test
returned 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
No subtests run

Thanks, Dave