[Dbix-class] (no subject)

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Jul 2 15:49:41 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Marc Espie <espie at nerim.net> wrote:

> Compare Tim Bunce's presentation of DBI (which does emphasize that speed
> is really important) with the mostly "don't care about performance at all"
> in DBIx::Class.
>
> I know that I've given up on DBIx::Class myself, precisely because there's
> such a huge overhead (most of which isn't really that explainable,
> actually,
> there's something as over-generality).

It's really hard to generalize about this.  For web apps it's a much more
complex problem.

We have a large number of web servers, very beefy database servers, and run
multiple database slaves handling read queries.  Moving from DBIC to DBI
would make little difference in our case other than in simple benchmarks.
 Plus, scaling the web servers (where DBIC runs) is easy -- and the web
servers are not where our performance issues are, in general.

Caching and sharding is where I'd put my efforts.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org