[Dbix-class] many_to_many data access

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 09:10:02 GMT 2012

Patrick Meidl wrote:

> there are two reasons why you want to model the relationship city ->
> state -> country in such a rigid (and maybe simplified) way:
>
> first, it helps you maintain data integrity. after all, you don't want
> anybody to enter a store which is in Paris, Bavaria, UK, right?

But you do want them to be able to enter Paris, France as well as Paris,
Texas, USA. :-P  And in Germany, the state (Land) is not part of the
address, AFAIK, so Bavaria, or Freistaat Bayern, will never appear. And
it's most definitely not right to have to write Singapore, Singapore,
Singapore as an address. So I think some more flexibility is required,
as others have suggested.

Cheers, Dave