[Dbix-class] Autocommit => 0

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Mon Nov 26 09:24:23 GMT 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 12:23:17PM +0400, Dmitry Belyavsky wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> What does the changelog string for 0.08127
>
> - DBIx::Class now warns when the user erroneously supplies AutoCommit
> => 0 to connect()
>
> mean?
>
> I use AutoCommit =>0 not erroneously but specially...

Using AutoCommit => 0 is almost universally a bad idea, but is not
outright banned due to backwards compatibility reasons. In fact during
the many years of working with DBI and friends I have not seen a single
valid use-case for AutoCommit => 0 - every single time it was a case
of a developer misunderstanding SQL commit semantics..

The current DBIC behavior will always remain a warning only (and there
is an %ENV_based way to silence it). I.e. your AC => 0 based code will
continue to work indefinitely.

As far as the actual warning and corresponding documentation[1] - if
you can demonstrate a real use-case for AC => 0, we will consider
revisiting the issue.

[1] https://metacpan.org/module/DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI#DBIx::Class-and-AutoCommit