[Dbix-class] Candidate name DBIx::Table::TestDataGenerator for a CPAN module - readable version

"José Diaz Seng" josediazseng at gmx.de
Thu Sep 27 23:25:48 GMT 2012

Hi,

sorry to all those receiving a second email from me with the same subject, but I just posted my message in non-plain format and the display in the DBIx-Class mailing list archive is unreadable, so I decided to send it again in plain format.

Six weeks ago I dicussed the naming of a CPAN module I was starting to write on perlmonks and the dbi-dev list and got very useful and motivating responses from members of the Perl community, see the following threads: http://www.mail-archive.com/dbi-dev@perl.org/msg06790.html, http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=983419 and http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2012/08/msg81608.html.

The description of the module in the last URL still fits quite well, I have only added a parameter to the main method to be able to get deterministic results as suggested by Jonathan Leffler. Some suggestions by Tim Bunce on making the module more flexible by exposing key methods meant to be overridden have not yet been taken into account.

The module works fine now and is in a good state (documentation, test coverage,...). In the current version it supports only Oracle, but I plan to make it work for all common DBMSs.

In order to get feedback and keep things rolling, I would like to put it on CPAN as soon as possible, the main obstacle being that I want to make sure the name is well chosen. My current preferred name is DBIx::Table::TestDataGenerator (thank you Tim for the suggestion!). I would therefore like to get your opinion on the naming issue as well as any other comments and suggestions you have.

Thanks.
José