[Dbix-class] Representing directory structures

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Sun Apr 7 18:57:43 GMT 2013

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 11:42:01AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:

> Postgresql has "WITH RECURSIVE" which DBIC has no support for (other than
> virtual views):

I do not have a coherent opinion/advice on your actual question, however
some pointers on the above statement. Perhaps you can cleanup the work
done so far and get somewhere.

* A long time ago DBIC did gain support for the extended Oracle CONNECT BY
syntax similar to Pgs WITH RECURSIVE:
https://metacpan.org/module/DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Oracle::Generic#ATTRIBUTES

* The same person wrote a Pg implementation which was not accepted (and
the work stalled afterwards) because it tried to shoehorn Pg
capabilities into the same Oracle API as linked above:
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=39121#txn-784834

* There is another more recent attempt in a branch - sadly I do not know
anything about its state or intentions (was all done when I was not around):
https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/compare/master...people;dhoss;pg_with_recursive

To reiterate - DBIC does not currently support the WITH extension
because of lack of tuits and domain-knowledge, not because of a
technical impossibility. Hope something can be salvaged by a person with
the right intentions out of the preexisting work.

Cheers