[Dbix-class] Representing directory structures

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 08:30:16 GMT 2013

Bill Moseley wrote:
> Anyone using DBIC to represent hierarchal directory (folder) structures?
>
> Essentially just like a file system, except users each have their own root.
>  To add to the complexity, I need to be able to "share" folders and all
> child elements to other users.

Just a thought, and most likely irrelevant to your application, but file
system hierarchies are frequently a poor match to the users'
requirements. The user would often really prefer multiple parents (i.e.
a DAG) and/or classification tags for 'files'. Those features would lead
to a different implementation.

Cheers, Dave