[Dbix-class] "the apparent complexity of it all"

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Tue Apr 9 12:30:56 GMT 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 01:20:33PM +0100, Jess Robinson wrote:

> >>Not merged. While I like the idea, I am not sure if mentioning
> >>DBIC::Row DBIC::Rel::Base (which is about to go away soon... I
> >>hope... I really do) is a good idea. Especially given that we have
> >>https://metacpan.org/module/DBIx::Class::Manual::ResultClass#INHERITED-METHODS.
> >It's not the problem you think it is. The docs patch does and must
> >reflect current reality. Worry about changing that when the time
> >actually comes. Of course, one could reword it to indirectly refer to
> >e.g. "the first two classes in the inherited methods list" or somesuch,
> >but that can silently/unnoticably become a dangling link
> >when ::Manual::ResultClass gets reorganised.
>
> I'm not sure what this is about, but I agree with the general
> "document whats there NOW", remove/change it later if/when it
> changes. Too much planning ahead for changes that may not emerge is
> wasteful, and the change may turn out to be not what we expected.
>
> Unless of course riba's "soon" means "has been implemented and I'm
> going to merge it before this document is done" ;)

It's not exactly "planning ahead", it's more of a "there is already
stuff to work around *precisely* this problem". SineSwiper commented
further here [1] (see 4th reply-hunk). The ::Manual::ResultClass has
been on CPAN for several months now [2], introduced/linked up by [3].
*This* is what I meant by "not sure it is a good idea to promote X".
Reiterated it here as well [4] (3rd reply hunk)

Cheers

[1] http://grokbase.com/t/sc/dbix-class/132r6q21ag/the-apparent-complexity-of-it-all#20130404lxvelgj6chdkbkh5boimbr3paa
[2] https://metacpan.org/module/RIBASUSHI/DBIx-Class-0.08210/lib/DBIx/Class/Manual/ResultClass.pod
[3] https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/commit/3d4c5a8439