[Dbix-class] Sybase ASE 15.7 Issue: Quoted Identifiers and compound SQL statements

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:31:47 GMT 2013

Actually, wait a sec..... it's not that bad at all now that I think
about it a bit more.

First of all, none of the Sybase tests are run unless the installer
setups a test database, and exports the DBICTEST_* env vars to refer
to it.   Therefore, SOME administrative action is required on before
these tests are useful at all.   So, there's no reason that person
can't TELL the test suite whether or not the database uses
quoted_identifiers, perhaps via another env var, say:

export DBICTEST_SYBASE_TEST_QUOTED_IDENTIFIERS=1

or something less ugly.    IOW, if there isn't a way to query that
information dynamically, we can just code the tests so that it has to
be asserted.

Having said that, I suspect it's possible to make that query, I just
don't know how (yet -- haven't looked).   But the point here is that
even if such a query isn't feasible, we can still implement tests for
these cases without it.

If we can figure out the root cause, and find a fix, then I am also
happy to make sure that the code continues working on Sybase, since
I'm going to end up with a mission critical dependency on it.   Either
that, or I have to make this work with the other option my employer
gave me: DB2 :-(