[Dbix-class] Multiple connections

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Jan 16 16:07:40 GMT 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 7:25 AM, Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk>w=
rote:

> Lianna Eeftinck wrote:
> >> I'm open to any suggestions, but for now it looks like the
> >> two-connection approach solves my problem.
> >
> > You never stated the problem you are trying to tackle with the two
> > connections. :)
>
> You're right. I want to read data from a MySQL database where some
> tables use Windows-1252 encoding (i.e what MySQL refers to as latin1)
> and others use UTF8.

It's not latin1.   There's a few differences:

http://www.i18nqa.com/debug/table-iso8859-1-vs-windows-1252.html
http://www.i18nqa.com/debug/bug-iso8859-1-vs-windows-1252.html
http://www.string-functions.com/encodingtable.aspx?encoding=3D28591&decodin=
g=3D1252

How are you going to join across those two database handles?

Dave, I know it sounds like a lot of work, but fix your data.   It is so
much easier to do it right now than spend years fighting bugs and broken
code.   I'm not sure what your project is, but it gets very expensive
carrying along this kind of tech debt.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org