[Dbix-class] sub resultset in Template Toolkit presented as an array, not a resultset

Trevor Leffler tleffler at uw.edu
Wed Feb 4 18:29:34 GMT 2015

On 02/04/2015 09:23 AM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> On 02/04/2015 06:14 PM, Chris Welch wrote:

>> However, in my template (having stashed |$divisions|), I'm unable to
>> access the grid_positions_filled object because division.team_seaons
>> gives me an arrayref of team resultsets in that division:
>>
>>      [%
>>      # Loop through our divisions
>>      FOREACH division IN divisions;
>>        CALL c.log.debug(division.team_seasons); # The output of this is
>> something like: ARRAY(0x6f8318c)
>>      END;
>>      -%]

> Any relationship accessor is also created with an <accessor_name>_rs
> variant, to work around *exactly* this (mis)feature of TT.
>
> What you want above is ...division.team_seasons_rs...
>
> Cheers

And to expound on *why* this is happening... TT works in list context by
default, so anything that can return a list of values will do so.
Meaning those resultset calls (which usually come down to search()'s)
return lists of rows versus another resultset object.

There are a couple of ways to tell TT to work in scalar context, one of
which Peter described above.  Another is to use TT's Scalar plugin [1]
and do something like ...division.scalar.team_seasons...

I'd be interested in about hearing folks' experiences/pros/cons of using
_rs vs scalar vs ??? in TT.

--Trevor

[1] http://www.tt2.org/docs/modules/Template/Plugin/Scalar.html