[Dbix-class] How to manage customer-specific / user-defined attributes?

Alex Becker asb.cpan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 09:33:08 GMT 2015

Dear all!

Whenever I start setting up a somewhat larger database, I come across the
question: how to design customer-specific attributes?
I can't imagine that this question was not elaborated extensively in the
Internet, but I did not manage to find a good article about it. Maybe it's
something trivial.

Example:
Assume a generic web shop. You have a table of products. These products to
have a set of pre-defined attributes like price, VAT, weight etc.

Some time later, new attributes will be added. Simple new, single-value
attributes, as well as multi-value-attributes.
Like colors (can be either blue or yellow) or topics (1 or more of:
gardening, cars, programming, ...).

Do you know a comprehensive guide how to do it best? In the ideal case, by
using DBIx::Class :)

In the past, I used hand-make code to alter tables (add or remove columns,
while keeping the default columns), and the normalization approach with
single values attributes.

Best regards,
Alex