[Dbix-class] Traffic pattern changes ahead

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Mon Aug 1 14:33:57 GMT 2016

On 07/01/2016 04:59 PM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> On 06/17/2016 03:24 PM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
>>
>> And we are entering the final lap \o/
>>

> Wow... July is here now. A quick update on where things stand:

And here comes August. Still no update on CPAN, despite the "some days
off" label, but at least now there is real tangible progress ( see [1]
below ). As I mentioned several times earlier - a miraculous chain of
events keep me available to properly wrap up what I am doing, and the
timeframes got pushed several weeks ahead (yet again, but this time,
fingers-crossed, for the last time ).

This means everything is still on track, as unlikely as it seems!

I was hoping to start things rolling this weekend, but I had to stop all
work for the past ~4 days: too much brain-fry. In less than 24h I will
be embarking on a long trip to a modest private gathering [2], so there
will essentially be no updates during the coming week either.

More updates in ~10 days

Follows a list of milestones as of Aug 1st:

> On 05/25/2016 04:29 PM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
>> On 01/30/2016 06:50 AM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
>>>

>>> - Review, fixups, and final API-fication of the transaction subsystem
>>>         70% (hand in hand with the next item)
>>> - Review, fixups, and final API-fication of the exception handling
>>> subsystem
>>>      70% (turned out to be a massive yak, isn't it always the case)
>>
>> These inched up to 90%, almost there.
>>

>>> - Final API-fication of the relationship resolution system
>>>      85%
>>>

>> No changes there yet.

Now at 95%, virtually finished.

>>> - Final review and fixups of the metadata (ResultSource) subsystem
>>>      10% (may be dropped entirely, things are taking too long)
>>>

>> Now at 90%
>>
>> Turned out that without doing this work it is not possible to resolve a
>> number of regressions. This is what took most of the past couple months,
>> I will add a more extensive writeup when the final pieces land.

Now *fully 100% complete* (the "next 90%" took a while). See [1] for a
more extensive writeup

>>> - Stabilize the (unique across CPAN) CI setup in light of recent service
>>> changes
>>>      95% (main part completed, possibly will add more parallelism if
>>> time permits)
>>>

>> No changes since last announcement.

No changes since last time.

>>> - Overhaul of the distbuild system, making it more approachable for
>>> future maints
>>>      20%
>>>

>> Inched up to 70%, need another pass to remove Module::Install and add
>> the code walkthrough (this is a surprise, stay tuned).

No changes.

>>> - Several new deprecation warnings, serving to set direction/provide
>>> interlocks for future architects
>>>      5% (might also get dropped altogether... sigh)
>>
>> Now at 85% goes together with the ResultSource overhaul.

Now at 95%, 2 more new warnings pending.

>>> - Minor overhauls of SQL::Abstract and SQL::Translators, to be lock-step
>>> released with DBIC
>>>      70%
>>>

>> No changes since, only preliminary planning.

No changes.

>>> Annotation of all existing branches/issues/tickets/PRs
>>>      50%
>>>

>> No changes since, preliminary planning.

No changes

As said earlier - more around the 10th. Stay tuned! \m/

[1]
https://blog.afoolishmanifesto.com/posts/open-source-infrastructure-and-dbix-class-diagnostics-improvements/
[2] https://www.google.de/search?q=wacken+open+air&tbm=isch