[Dbix-class] ★ VOTE NOW: DBIC Governance and Namespace Control ★

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 19:08:54 GMT 2016

Proposal A

    On Monday, December 5, 2016 11:15 AM, "Renvoize, Martin" <martin.renvoize at ptfs-europe.com> wrote:

 Proposal A

| Martin Renvoize |
| Development Manager |

|   |
| T: +44 (0) 1483 378728 |
| F: +44 (0) 800 756 6384 |
| E: martin.renvoize at ptfs-europe.com |
| www.ptfs-europe.com |
|   |
|  |

| Registered in the United Kingdom No. 06416372   VAT Reg No. 925 7211 30
The information contained in this email message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this email message in error, please email the sender at info at ptfs-europe.com |

On 5 December 2016 at 16:44, Sam <perl at net153.net> wrote:

Proposal A

On 12/05/2016 12:15 AM, David Golden wrote:

Thank you to everyone who has been participating in or just reading the
various governance discussions since my initial email to the DBIC list
of Oct 3. [1]

It's time to bring this to a conclusion.

Peter suggests that the question to consider is merely which fork gets
the "DBIx::Class" namespace indexed on CPAN.  While that may be all he
cares about, I feel it trivializes the discussions the community has
been having and the decision the community is being asked to make.

Without restating all the history to date, here are the facts of the
case that I think are most relevant to consider in understanding the
proposals at hand:

* Peter's original plan that started the dispute could be summarized as
"Peter takes sole control of the DBIx::Class namespace and does X",
where at that time the plan appeared to be "freeze and park permissions
with an unknown owner".

* The dispute process clearly indicated that Peter didn't have the
support of existing maintainers or the community for such a plan
sufficient to disregard his prior permissions agreement with Matt.

* Matt proposed a mechanism for the community to self-govern the DBIC
namespace and development, sharing power between maintainers and the
mailing list. (Revised proposal is linked as [2])

* Peter revealed that his new employment situation allows him to
continue development. [3]

* Given Peter's track record and renewed availability, some in the
community wanted to see an alternative proposal where Peter continued
DBIC and the community took forward "DBIC2"; Andrew Beverl formalized a
proposal [4].  In response to concerns about the proposal, Peter
volunteered to clarify the alternative proposal.

* Peter delivered an alternative proposal that could be summarized as
"Peter takes sole control of the DBIx::Class namespace and does X",
where at this time the plan appears to be "kickstart a DBIx::Class fork
free of community bias". [5]

Unfortunately for the community's deliberations, Peter has consistently
provided minimal details on his plans, particularly regarding succession
should he no longer be able to or wish to continue development.  After
Andrew Beverl's proposal, Peter said he would clarify by Nov 1 [6].
This target date then slipped to Nov 5 [7], was pushed back again on Nov
7 [8], and pushed again to Nov 17 or else Thanksgiving [9].  On November
10, in the middle of this sequence of delays, I started a private email
thread with Peter asking if there was anything I could do to help him
formalize his proposal, but the thread stalled on the Nov 14.  On
November 26, I received a separate private email telling me I could set
a deadline of Dec 1, if needed [10].  In our continuation of the stalled
thread at that point, Peter and I briefly discussed what ultimately
became his final proposal of Dec 3.

I think some details in those private emails are relevant to the
decisions at hand, so now that Peter has released his proposal and
because Peter originally insisted that all discussions about DBIC be
public anyway, I am now posting the content of that private email thread
in full. [11]

Specifically, I want to call attention to Peter's description of the
future of DBIC as "two forks developed in parallel, by noncooperating,
openly adversarial teams" which I think is more indicative of the stakes
and situation than the simpler question of "where does the DBIx::Class
namespace point".  What an adversarial fork means for the future of the
repository, mailing list, bug trackers, module ecosystem, and community
itself, etc. is undefined and community members may wish to consider
that in their decision process.

Given Peter's stated intent to launch a "fork free of community bias",
it's clear there is no governance alternative for the community on the
table.  Matt's original proposal had enough support to be adopted
outright [12], has been amended with generally good feedback, and has
provisions for future self amendment.  I consider it operative in its
amended form as soon as this vote is concluded, with the only missing
piece being what specific namespaces it governs.

The question thus comes down to whether the community feels "official"
DBIC is best developed going forward by a self-governed community or by
a single individual with absolute control (with both the good and ill
that comes of that).  The community may wish to consider the track
record and personalities of everyone involved for both scenarios in
weighing a decision.

As there has been more than enough time spent on these topics and/or
waiting for clarification already, and since the options on the table
aren't materially altered from their earlier forms, I don't believe
further discussion, debate or new alternatives will provide better or
clearer options for the future of DBIC.  It is time for this dispute to
be resolved so everyone can move forward.

Therefore, I submit to the list the following two proposals:

* PROPOSAL A: Primary permissions for DBIx::Class and related namespaces
shall be managed under the amended DBIC community governance structure
proposed by Matt Trout.  Decisions about the future development of the
project, including but not limited to stability policy, new development,
branching and freezing shall be governed by the community under the same
terms.  The community will choose whether/how to continue active
development of DBIC under that name or a separate name.  Peter will
choose whether/how to fork DBIC to a new namespace for independent
development.

* PROPOSAL B: Primary permissions for DBIx::Class and related namespaces
shall be managed solely by Peter Ribasushi until he transfers it to
another of his choosing or appears permanently incommunicado (whether by
choice, accident or death).    Decisions about the future development of
the project, including but not limited to stability policy, new
development, branching and freezing shall be made at Peter's sole
discretion.  Peter will choose whether/how to continue active
development of DBIC under that or a separate name.  The community, under
the governance proposal, will choose whether/how to fork DBIC to a new
namespace for independent development.

List members should reply to this email with an email body indicating
clearly "Proposal A" or "Proposal B".  Other responses, such as "+1" or
"me, too" replies to others' votes will be disregarded.

Voting will close 72 hours after this email is sent.

I will tally and announce results shortly thereafter.  I will be sole
arbiter of any voting irregularities.  Once announced, I will transfer
namespace permissions accordingly and consider the matter resolved.

Regards,
David

[1]
http://dbix-class.35028.n2.nab ble.com/IMPORTANT-A-discussion -of-DBIC-governance-and- future-development-td7578987. html