[Dbix-class] Traffic pattern changes ahead

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Sat Jan 30 05:50:59 GMT 2016

On 12/25/2015 11:11 PM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:

> Work will resume in full some time during the 1st week of January, with
> a tentative date for 0.082830 some time around Jan 7.

Given January is almost over, another update is in order. Back in [1]
several pieces were identified as "walking away without these is
near-criminal". Below is their state of readiness after several weeks of
false starts:

- Review, fixups, and final API-fication of the transaction subsystem
    	70% (hand in hand with the next item)
- Review, fixups, and final API-fication of the exception handling subsystem
	70% (turned out to be a massive yak, isn't it always the case)

- Final API-fication of the relationship resolution system
	85%

- Final review and fixups of the metadata (ResultSource) subsystem
	10% (may be dropped entirely, things are taking too long)

- Stabilize the (unique across CPAN) CI setup in light of recent service
changes
	95% (main part completed, possibly will add more parallelism if time
permits)

- Overhaul of the distbuild system, making it more approachable for
future maints
	20%

- Several new deprecation warnings, serving to set direction/provide
interlocks for future architects
	5% (might also get dropped altogether... sigh)

- Minor overhauls of SQL::Abstract and SQL::Translators, to be lock-step
released with DBIC
	70%

Annotation of all existing branches/issues/tickets/PRs
	50%

For the time being I am intending to stick to the original plan, despite
the ever-slipping timetable. Sorry it is taking so long.

There is also a little bit of not-terrible news: In the meantime there
were several (so far 2, maybe one more during FOSDEM) entities who
expressed interest in keeping me around in a similar capacity. While
there are no specific details to share, I plan to get to the bottom of
each of these opportunities before "turning the lights off". Too much
unwritten code is at stake to not do so.

Next update Mid-February.

Cheers

[1] http://blogs.perl.org/users/peter_rabbitson/2015/12/riba2016-ends.html