[Dbix-class] The email I didn't want to write.

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Wed Nov 2 10:50:24 GMT 2016

Matt, thank you for writing this email. It further highlights where we
differ, and will serve as a good trampoline for me to distill my point
further. There is a lot of stuff to unpack here, and given text is not
my forte I will take my time to respond in full some time this weekend
(along with my proposal).

I am going to only highlight a few of the inaccuracies below, as they
require further comment on Matt's part.

On 11/01/2016 11:18 PM, Matt S Trout wrote:

> This seems like a surprising description of ilmari, given he holds the
> first-come permissions for both DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader and SQL::Abstract

PAUSE disagrees:

rabbit at Ahasver:~$ curl -s
http://cpan.metacpan.org/modules/06perms.txt.gz | zgrep
'^SQL::Abstract,.*,f$'
SQL::Abstract,MSTROUT,f

> and conducted a huge and highly successful refactor of the former.

True, ilmari did work on S::L recently, but let's give credit where
credit is due:

rabbit at Ahasver:~/devel/schema_loader$ perl_git_stats lib t
As of 4f1bda9 GRAND_TOTAL stats => {
   blank_lines => 7320,
   code_lines => 21874,
   comment_lines => 1027,
   pod_lines => 2584,
   total_lines => 32805
}
rkitover at cpan.org stats => {
   blank_lines => 3652,
   code_lines => 11265,
   comment_lines => 587,
   pod_lines => 957,
   total_lines => 16461
}
ilmari at ilmari.org stats => {
   blank_lines => 635,
   code_lines => 2634,
   comment_lines => 128,
   pod_lines => 564,
   total_lines => 3961
}
blblack at gmail.com stats => {
   blank_lines => 1061,
   code_lines => 2435,
   comment_lines => 62,
   pod_lines => 424,
   total_lines => 3982
}

> Meanwhile, we've now reached a point where seeing a ticket or patch sent in
> by ribasushi tends to result in people ignoring it for a few days because
> they need to work up the emotional stoicism required to deal with the chances
> of it being a useful patch/ticket that happens to come with a free polemic.

Citation needed. Please provide an example where I have been abusive or
even slightly unprofessional in a bugreport. Issue trackers are
generally always part of the public record, so it shouldn't be a problem
to back up what was said above.

> - who's actively attacked and/or alienated the owners of many of our downstream
>   dependencies, including the crucial SQL::Abstract

Even correcting for the error of who the actual SQLA owner is, here are
the stats of the top 6 contributors:

rabbit at Ahasver:~/devel/sqla$ perl_git_stats lib t
As of 18710f6 GRAND_TOTAL stats => {
   blank_lines => 2540,
   code_lines => 12460,
   comment_lines => 775,
   misc_lines => 2,
   pod_lines => 2219,
   total_lines => 17996
}
ribasushi at cpan.org stats => {
   blank_lines => 494,
   code_lines => 3594,
   comment_lines => 259,
   pod_lines => 322,
   total_lines => 4669
}
frioux at gmail.com stats => {
   blank_lines => 211,
   code_lines => 1087,
   comment_lines => 12,
   pod_lines => 106,
   total_lines => 1416
}
norbi at nix.hu stats => {
   blank_lines => 97,
   code_lines => 925,
   comment_lines => 35,
   pod_lines => 45,
   total_lines => 1102
}
ash_github at firemirror.com stats => {
   blank_lines => 290,
   code_lines => 553,
   comment_lines => 25,
   pod_lines => 414,
   total_lines => 1282
}
laurent.dami at etat.ge.ch stats => {
   blank_lines => 410,
   code_lines => 548,
   comment_lines => 99,
   misc_lines => 2,
   pod_lines => 309,
   total_lines => 1368
}
ilmari at ilmari.org stats => {
   blank_lines => 16,
   code_lines => 195,
   comment_lines => 13,
   pod_lines => 27,
   total_lines => 251
}

If we look at SQL::Abstract alone (which arguably should have been the
only thing in the dist, but I dropped the ball there), we still get:

rabbit at Ahasver:~/devel/sqla$ perl_git_stats lib/SQL/Abstract.pm
As of 18710f6 GRAND_TOTAL stats => {
   blank_lines => 1300,
   code_lines => 1889,
   comment_lines => 251,
   misc_lines => 1,
   pod_lines => 1890,
   total_lines => 5331
}
ribasushi at cpan.org stats => {
   blank_lines => 161,
   code_lines => 536,
   comment_lines => 56,
   pod_lines => 254,
   total_lines => 1007
}
laurent.dami at etat.ge.ch stats => {
   blank_lines => 321,
   code_lines => 332,
   comment_lines => 84,
   misc_lines => 1,
   pod_lines => 276,
   total_lines => 1014
}
ash_github at firemirror.com stats => {
   blank_lines => 251,
   code_lines => 99,
   comment_lines => 11,
   pod_lines => 414,
   total_lines => 775
}
norbi at nix.hu stats => {
   blank_lines => 20,
   code_lines => 72,
   comment_lines => 7,
   pod_lines => 18,
   total_lines => 117
}
ilmari at ilmari.org stats => {
   blank_lines => 16,
   code_lines => 57,
   comment_lines => 10,
   pod_lines => 27,
   total_lines => 110
}

Matt, with all said above - can you please clarify:

> - who's actively attacked and/or alienated the owners of many of our downstream
>   dependencies, including the crucial SQL::Abstract

Cheers

P.S. All stats generated by the following script.It essentially
correlates deep-blame (ignoring whitespace changes and trying to detect
trans-file copies with default git settings), with the type of file region.

https://gist.github.com/ribasushi/600bcbc0c84f5825b1236fb02c57dda3#file-perl_git_stats-pl