[Dbix-class] PROPOSAL: Governance and sustainability

Andrew Beverley andy at andybev.com
Tue Nov 8 07:06:10 GMT 2016

Thanks for the updated governance MST. Just one comment/question from
me (this is not intended to be critical because I made the previous
alternate proposal, it's a genuine concern that I would like to see
answered that led me to make the previous alternative proposal):

> Voting Members are:
>
>   Matt S Trout (mst) cpan:MSTROUT
>   Dagfinn Ilmari Mansaker (ilmari) cpan:ILMARI
>   Frew Schmidt (frew) cpan:FREW
>   Jess Robinson (castaway) cpan:JROBINSON

I'd like to hear some commitment from the above list that they have the
time and capacity (and to some extent experience) to comprehensively
review relevant changes. My concern is that relatively significant
changes could be proposed (and implemented), and not get the scrutiny
that they should have. If proposals get no votes (or "yeah looks okay
to me" type votes), then that's actually worse than a BDFL-type
approach, as the implementer gets a false sense of security that their
work is being reviewed, when they might otherwise have been more
careful.

I realise that there is the list vote as well, but my comments above
still stand in that regard (especially re experience - I would have no
idea whether proposed changes affect stability).

What I'm really trying to say is that we've all seen situations where
programmers (including me) have been more lax than they should have
been, when they think they have some sort of other security checking
their changes (be it peer-reviews, test suites, whatever).

Andy