[Dbix-class] Please don't try to start voting yet

Darin McBride darin.mcbride at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 8 21:30:22 GMT 2016

On Tuesday November 8 2016 9:05:30 PM Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 10:42:38PM -0800, Darren Duncan wrote:
> > Here's an idea.  In the spirit of your proposal, how about when the
> > discussion seems to be over and it seems time to vote, either Matt
> > or Peter would propose that a vote occurs, with the VOTE email etc,
> > and then the other one of those two would second it if they agree,
> > at which point the vote happens. -- Darren Duncan
>
> I absolutely agree that riba and I should both be happy the discussion is
> complete before voting begins.
>
> I feel like having the part where we both agree that we're happy being done
> using something that looks a lot like my proposal would seem a little off.
>
> I think the best thing is for me to announce "ready when you are" and him to
> do the same, via whatever clear manner suits us, and then David Golden can
> declare, in an email, linking to both of our emails, that the vote will
> open in 24h unless riba or I objects, and send another email after 24h
> opening it assuming there's no such objection.
>
> Little bit clunky, but if we have another incident of people feeling
> unexpectedly railroaded I'm going to yell DEMOCRACY! three times and throw
> a chair, so I'd rather overcompensate in that regard.
>
> Anybody (especially riba) got any objections to that as a plan?

I'd +1 this, but that'd look like a vote and we're not voting yet.

(In fact, if I remember, I'd propose the same rule of thumb for voting here in
general - rather than making it a hard-and-fast 72hr wait, I'd suggest in
general, using an async communication method such as email, that the rule
should be more along the lines of "whenever the conversation has died down,
run its course, or stand at an impasse, or 72 hours, whichever is longer, the
proposer, or any VM, may call for a vote, itself seconded by any other person
among the proposer and VMs."  This is a bit looser than your proposal, but
also less formal, and I don't know about you guys, but most programmers I know
aren't that formal.)