[Dbix-class] A slightly more concrete proposal

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Wed Oct 5 08:41:57 GMT 2016

I haven't waded in on this so far, as I consider others with direct
involvement with the project to have far more weight in their opinions
on that matter, but just for the record:

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 20:17:08 +0000 Matt S Trout <mst at shadowcat.co.uk>
wrote:
> 1) I think at this point we should formalise a core team. The BDFL
> model was nice while it lasted, but I don't think it's tenable going
> forwards.
>
> My first thought for composition would be a five-person team, and
> assuming everybody agrees to it,that being Ilmari, Castaway (Jess
> Robinson), Frew, myself, and whoever riba was planning to pass the
> first-come bits to.
>
> That seems like it should be a nice combination of continuity and
> ensuring that riba's fears we'll be insufficiently conservative being
> given a voice.

I support this.

In particular, I disagree with Riba's idea of removing all existing
co-maints (people who've been given co-maint precisely because they can
be trusted to act in the best interests of the project) and entirely
hand over the reins to an as-yet-unknown person.  Whilst I trust that
Riba would select someone appropriate for the role, I think DBIC is too
important to the Perl ecosystem to be solely controlled by one person.

Matt, you've put a lot of work into the project in the past, along with
a lot of guidance, and your focus on avoiding potential for data loss
is exactly what is needed, so I'd personally certainly want to see you
remain involved in the project as long as you're willing to be.

The others you named as potential core team members are all sensible
choices too, I think.

Also, since I'm posting my opinion, I'd just like to say to Riba,
whatever my opinion of your handover plans, a big thank you for all
your hard work on DBIx::Class - the community owes you gratitude.

Cheers

Dave P (BIGPRESH)