[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

Louis Erickson lerickson at rdwarf.net
Wed Oct 5 15:45:25 GMT 2016

> On Oct 5, 2016, at 5:28 AM, Lasse Makholm <lasse at unity3d.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Leo Lapworth <leo at cuckoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,

>>> Because now that you causally dropped an insinuation that a part of the work
>>> I put into DBIC itself was performed for material gain
>>
>> I can't say I considered this for a moment when reading Karen's comment.
>>
>> I would hope that anyone doing such great work as you did in an Open Source
>> project SHOULD have the opportunity to make some money by supporting
>> the companies that use it, but I only consider this now you mention
>> material gain.
>>
>> I read Karen's comment as a validation of how important, not just to
>> casual users
>> but to businesses the work you have or are doing. This is a sign of a successful
>> project, not an issue in my mind.
>
> I totally agree. Anyone who knows enough about DBIC (or open source
> software in general for that matter) to have read this thread, will
> know that your (Peter's) involvement in this project is infinitely
> more than just a cash-grab. Frankly, to me at least, that notion is
> ludicrous.
>
> I too hail from a critical production environment relying on DBIC at
> its core. We've come to rely (and probably take for granted) the
> stability of DBIC and thus the expertise and diligence of its
> maintainer(s).
>
> However, I too worry about DBIC becoming a one-man project. The idea
> of a core-team kind of setup, focused on stability sounds sensible to
> me. And I have no good reason to think it wouldn't work.

I'm in the same group as all of these.

This is hardly a hugely public discussion.  It is archived on the web, but unless you're looking for it, stray people probably won't read it.  There are unlikely to be many "casual readers" of this discussion to misunderstand.

A team member - even the team leader - doing a private contract for a business is normal and expected behavior.  No one who knows either Ribasushi or Karen would have thought for a moment that the changes requested would have been at the expense of the project as a whole or any kind of money grab or financial impropriety.  It's someone who wanted something specific to their needs, and was hiring the best person available to get it done.  That's really common in OSS.