[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Fri Oct 7 17:09:01 GMT 2016

On 10/03/2016 10:37 PM, David Golden wrote:

> For those who don't know me, I'm DAGOLDEN on CPAN and I've joined this
> list in my capacity as a PAUSE <http://pause.perl.org> administrator.

This email is mainly addressed to the PAUSE admins, however I think the
(hopefully) following discussion is best served remaining on this list.

There has been a massive amount of input. While I have not answered
directly almost any of it, I assure you I have read and considered every
single word that has been said.

Please keep in mind, that everything I say below is not destructive
cynicism, but is done out of love and desperation and complete,
uniquely-informed understanding of what is at stake.

Bringing this thread back towards the actionable, I am presenting a
collection of statements and positions, without elaborating on the
individual line items. David, given the decisions the PAUSE admins are
faced with (see below) I encourage you to inquire for more info on
individual points that seem unclear. I will answer such inquiries in
individual subthreads.

=== On what is there / what was planned

* I just sent a new progress report [1], with what has been completed
out of the initial plan outlined in December [2].

* The allegations of an undisclosed private branch many changes are
entirely baseless, as indicated by the timestamps on the CI logs of the
main repository [3], which can be correlated with my extensive progress
reports [4]. There is *no other DBIC code* of mine which is in anything
resembling a state of readiness, yet is withheld from the public.

* As it is not clear what the future of the namespace will be ( see
below ), I am not sure if the remaining pieces are worth implementing in
the first place. All of the work outlined in [2] was either done to fix
borderline-intractable bugs, or to stabilize the current behaviors
(often in a bugward-compatible manner). That is in stark contrast with
some of the opinions expressed in this thread, and as such I would like
to see more clarity on where this project is going, before proceeding
further.

* The annotation of currently outstanding issues/branches mentioned in
[2] has not yet begun. As long as there is a demand for them, I will
provide at least the main highlights.

* Regardless of what happens (and whether there is reasonable demand to
implementing anything extra), I intend to produce a general codebase
walkthrough, hopefully ready by the start of November. While I don't
want to hype it up, I intend for its level of detail to dwarf that of
[5]. This has been in planning for quite some time and the tools needed
to pull this off have been in development for a while as well.

* As part of the support structure for the (now void, see below)
succession plan, I arranged a publicly logged IRC channel #askriba [6]
with the intent of holding scheduled "office hours" as long as there is
a demand for my institutional knowledge. This remains in place
regardless of the outcome of anything below.

=== On what is and will happen

* I strongly disagree with the PAUSE admins interpretation of my
ownership of this project, and I strongly believe a procedural
overstepping has taken place. However, the triggered discussion
indicates my leadership is not without controversy, and therefore as
indicated earlier[7], I am forfeiting my right to select the next FIRSTCOME.

* I am in no way shape or form considering keeping the FIRSTCOME myself.
All current events aside, it has been my decision to remove myself from
the helm a very long time ago, in order to avoid dealing with the
obvious conflict of interest ( more on this was articulated almost 2
years ago in [8] )

* The plan of succession I formed in December 2015, and had not deviated
from until this week, is presently null and void. It was an unusual
arrangement, with critical pieces based on a combination of promises and
assumptions. Recent events resulted in the invalidation of several such
foundation points, and there is no possible way I myself could presently
endorse it.

* Taking aside my strong misgivings on the effectiveness of
FLOSS-leadership-groups as a whole, I have grave reservations about the
specific (now) 4-member team outlined by Matt. The reservations are
entirely technical and procedural in nature, and are completely detached
from Matt's and mine 4+ years long interpersonal conflict. I will
elaborate on these reservations if necessary, but see next point.

* As I have neither a functional nor a backup plan, I am requesting
active arbitration from the PAUSE admins. That is - please collect
whatever additional information is necessary, make a decision on the
future leadership of this project, and take an administrative action to
carry this decision out. As indicated in the first part of this email I
pledge to make available all my knowledge and offer my full cooperation
to steady the ship over the coming weeks but I do not think it would be
right for me to try to be the captain that steers us out of this mess.
My only request is to not be placed in a position where I have to make
the FIRSTCOME transfer myself, essentially endorsing the currently
proposed leadership group: my integrity as an engineer simply will not
allow me to click the necessary buttons.

* As a final point on "going forward": I am concerned that the "software
stability" argument has been grossly micharacterized: it was presented
as a binary "does it lose data" argument, when for me the main question
has always been "is it opinionated / does it insist on usurping the
end-users time". To aid in understanding this here are some examples:
    - Frozen project: https://metacpan.org/changes/distribution/Class-DBI
    - Stable project: https://metacpan.org/changes/distribution/DBI
    - Highly unstable (volatile) project:
https://metacpan.org/changes/distribution/Mojolicious

While I will be the first to say the situation is not ideal - this is
what we have. I trust the PAUSE admins will make the best of it.

Regards
RIBASUSHI

[1] http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2016-October/012264.html
[2] http://blogs.perl.org/users/peter_rabbitson/2015/12/riba2016-ends.html