[Dbix-class] GOVERNANCE: Aggregation and conclusion

Michael Hamlin myrrhlin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:59:50 GMT 2016

I am in favor of Andy's proposal (forking).  My current understanding is
there are developers interested in working in both directions, and this
proposal permits that to happen.

If the projects diverge, so be it.  If one ceases to be actively
maintained, so be it.  This is not unusual in OSS or CPAN.  End users will
always have the choice which to use (or continue using), or whether to
switch.

I do not think a "succession plan" is necessary for this proposal, because
I trust Peter to be responsible and responsive to the users, the fact that
abandoned repos can be reassigned, and that any written succession plan is
not necessarily going to actually help in an uncertain future.

As I said before, governance and direction do not seem to me entirely
independent discussions, and attempts to split them may depress user
involvement.  Its like voting for a candidate without knowing their
platform.  As an end-user, I care a lot about direction.  My feelings about
governance can change as I hear more about what folks are proposing to do.

thanks,
michael

p.s. I didn't appreciate the feeling of "rush to judgment" that this thread
began with.  I can understand that to some this discussion feels like its
dragging on, but if you want to listen to users, you need to give plenty of
time.  (I can't even read this mailing list on a daily basis, much less
cogitate and respond!)