[Dbix-class] Traffic pattern changes ahead

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Thu Sep 8 08:30:58 GMT 2016

On 08/01/2016 04:33 PM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> On 07/01/2016 04:59 PM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
>> On 06/17/2016 03:24 PM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
>>>
>>> And we are entering the final lap \o/
>>>

>> Wow... July is here now. A quick update on where things stand:
>
> And here comes August. Still no update on CPAN, despite the "some days
> off" label, but at least now there is real tangible progress ( see [x]
> below ). As I mentioned several times earlier - a miraculous chain of
> events keep me available to properly wrap up what I am doing, and the
> timeframes got pushed several weeks ahead (yet again, but this time,
> fingers-crossed, for the last time ).
>
> This means everything is still on track, as unlikely as it seems!
>
> I was hoping to start things rolling this weekend, but I had to stop all
> work for the past ~4 days: too much brain-fry. In less than 24h I will
> be embarking on a long trip to a modest private gathering [x], so there
> will essentially be no updates during the coming week either.

Greetings, and welcome to the September issue of this thread.

Updates have been slow, as a number of external events conspired to keep
me away from OSS for a while. Nevertheless things are still on track and
what's more - there are new never-before-seen-developments.

First off - good (fsvo) things come to those who wait: I start in a new
role on Oct 3rd. For better or worse my day-to-day activities will still
revolve around Perl5 so I will have to stick around in some capacity,
the extents of which I myself do not yet know.

With that said at this time I have a hard date for ceasing my direct
involvement in any CPAN offering with more than a single maintainer: the
coveted releases of the "team" projects I single-handedly led for
several years will happen on or before Oct 1st - exactly a year after my
doomed attempt to provide a better user experience in a sustainable
fashion[1].

I have also firmly selected who will be getting the DBIx::Class
namespace first-come[2], the transfer of which will also happen
somewhere around the end of September. It was a hard choice, but I am
convinced that it is the best thing to do as far as end-users are
concerned, at least in the short term.

And lastly - I have essentially reached the end of my queue of "things
that nobody is willing/able to do". There are still a couple downstream
pieces that needs attention, but other than that things will finally
start visibly rolling around Sept 13th, once I get back home from yet
another trip.

Look forward to an update around that time.

Cheers

[1]
https://www.reddit.com/r/perl/comments/3n4c85/i_am_a_perl5_developer_asking_25_companies_to
[2]