[Dbix-class] Status of DBIx::Class

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Mon Jul 17 11:20:39 GMT 2017

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:46:47PM +0200, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> On 07/17/2017 12:33 PM, Matt S Trout wrote:
> >Peter calling me Sean Spicer on twitter
>
> Please either provide a link, or retract this latest bit in a string
> of blatant lies

Perhaps I misunderstood your intent when you used #alternativefacts to
describe my comments on-list, but given it was a small number of days after
Mr. Spicer coined that phrase during a press briefing I hope my reading
of it is at least understandable.

> >I'm currently working towards understanding the impact of the various
> >backwards incompatible changes riba made on master
>
> There are to the best of my knowledge *no incompatible changes*
> compared to 0.082840 currently on CPAN. If there are - these are
> bugs, and I will fix them as promised back in October.

Quoth the documentation of DBIx::Class::Schema::SanityChecker -

=begin quote

Starting with C<v0.082900> DBIC is much more aggressive in calling the
underlying non-sugar methods directly, which in turn means that almost all
user-side overrides of sugar methods are never going to be invoked. These
situations are now reliably detected and reported individually (you may
end up with a lot of output on C<STDERR> due to this).

Note: B<ANY AND ALL ISSUES> reported by this check B<*MUST*> be resolved
before upgrading DBIC in production. Malfunctioning business logic and/or
B<SEVERE DATA LOSS> may result otherwise.

=end quote

The refactorings that led to DBIC both requiring this warning and the system
for marking resultsource overrides are absolutely fantastic technical work,
and mostly I'm just disappointed it didn't occur to me to do something
similar a decade ago.

However I'm still uncertain of the impact; hopefully the dev release plus
write-up will give users - and thus the core team - sufficient information
to be confident that the benefits outweigh the costs.

I don't regard being cautious about a release that, as your documentation
says, may cause "SEVERE DATA LOSS", to be FUD, but merely part of my duty
of care to the user base. You're welcome to hold a different opinion.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/