[Dbix-class] View Definitions for non-virtual views

Francisco Obispo francisco at obispo.link
Fri Jul 21 22:14:33 GMT 2017

On 21 Jul 2017, at 12:33, Matt S Trout wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:44:55AM -0700, Francisco Obispo wrote:
>> I created an RT ticket (I don’t know if it’s the right place), to
>> document this behavior which I believe is a bug:
>>
>> https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=122544
>
> dbicdump is part of DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader not DBIx::Class itself

Yes, but wasn’t sure were to post the request.

>> The result is that `.pm`’s derived from a view from `dbicdump` are
>> larger than they need to be, inherently using more memory, and with
>> no real good purpose. There should be an option to turn this
>> behavior off.
>
> While I don't see any reason we wouldn't take a patch to supply such
> an
> option, I confess to being surprised that this was noticeable - how
> did
> you measure the memory usage with and without, and how big was the
> difference?

The diffs in git started getting very big all of the sudden, and in the
company that I work, that started raising questions on the QA team, plus
we have some areas where we have fairly large postgres views whose
complexity is completely abstracted in a simple structure that has no
interest to the ORM.

Those fairly large views, force us to store the definition in RAM (as a
perl string) now just for the sake of documentation, but in reality, at
least in our system, is the wrong place to store the view definition. I
don’t want to have to explain a more junior developer that the real
view lives in SQL, and what lives in the .PM is just a snapshot of how
it looked when the schema was dumped.

I’m not saying it might not be useful for a lot of people, but for us
is not and I would like to have a switch to turn it off if the desire is
to leave it on by default, which again, I would advocate to do it the
other way around.

best regards,