[Dbix-class] (Unofficial) Status of DBIx::Class

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Sat Sep 2 12:19:03 GMT 2017

On 07/17/2017 12:27 PM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> Adding my personal 2c for the sake of concerned end-users. Please note
> that I do not have knowledge of what the current management is doing or
> planning to do.
>

> On 07/15/2017 06:03 PM, Andrew Gregory wrote:
>> What is the current status of DBIx::Class?  It looks like development
>> has all but stopped since last October.[1]  Is somebody actively
>> maintaining DBIx::Class somewhere else?  I sent an email to this list
>> two months ago regarding a bug that causes incorrect data to be
>> inserted with no response from this list.[2]  Is there a better way
>> for me to work toward getting the bug fixed?
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/graphs/commit-activity
>> [2]: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2017-May/012630.html
>>

> First of all - there is at least one person ( myself ) doing basic
> maintenance, albeit without yet publishing the changes in a
> widely-consumable form. As indicated back in [3] my plan was to resume
> public work once notable development takes place within the "official
> fork". Due to this not happening in a timely manner, I minimized my work
> to small bugfixes and clarifications to problems raised on this list
> and/or the #dbix-class channel. All interactions ( including the one
> with the OP back in May ) were done in private, as to give an
> opportunity to the newly formed team to forge their own path forward.
>
> To this date there haven't been any show-stopper issues that were
> brought to my attention, so the wider userbase is not missing much more
> than what is already currently mothballed in the official repository.
>
> Nevertheless, recently I raised a set of questions to the PAUSE
> administrators [4], which are instrumental for me to continue work under
> the preexisting model. The policy addressing these is afaik in the final
> stages of approval. From my side the plan is to have some sort of
> DBIx::Class::Boring distribution appear on CPAN by the end of Q3 2017,
> pending resolution of the policy issues.
>
> Apologies for not having more information to share at present.
>
> [3] http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2016-December/012479.html
> [4] https://twitter.com/ribasushi/status/884019305876262912

With yet another month+ passing by in silence with zero activity[5],
another unofficial update in in order. Neil Bowers and Andreas Koenig
have been hard at work hammering out the final bits of the official
PAUSE namespacing policy. I am optimistic that their work will be
finished in the next 2~3 weeks and more importantly will provide a solid
foundation for at least one variant of DBIx::Class with the pending
improvements[6] to appear on CPAN-proper for smoke testing and eventual
installation.

Unfortunately the policy work is taking longer than anticipated, but
this is the kind of thing that I rather be done right as opposed to
quickly. In other words even if my above timeline of "end of Q3" slips
yet again, it is vastly preferable to have solid ground for the forks to
coexist.

In the meantime there were no public or private reports of issues with
the pending changes, nor has there been any showstoppers uncovered
within what is on CPAN right now. So to the best of my knowledge - all
is well.

Hopefully a more substantial update will follow within a month

Cheers

[5] https://twitter.com/ribasushi/status/902936349615026177
[6] https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/compare/v0.082840...master%5E