[Dbix-class] order_by interfering with has_many fetch

Darin McBride darin.mcbride at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 28 20:51:56 GMT 2018

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 8:36:36 AM MST Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> On 11/16/2015 09:18 PM, Darin McBride wrote:
> > On Monday November 16 2015 7:20:17 PM Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> >> What does this say then:
> >>
> >> Dwarn { $planet_rs->result_source->unique_constraints }
> >>
> >> Something screwy is going on with the metadata layer...
> >
> > {
> >
> >    primary => [
> >
> >      "id"
> >
> >    ]
> >
> > }
> >
> > This makes it look like this line:
> >
> > # tell DBIC that this is unique so it can be sorted properly when dealing
> > # with has_many, prefetch, and order_by
> > __PACKAGE__->add_unique_constraint(name => ['name']);
> >
> > isn't doing anything.
>
> Hi Darin!
>
> My notes around this time are a bit jumbled. I was wondering if you
> could refresh my memory: did we ever fix this problem you were having?
>
> Thanks!

tl;dr version: we got past it, but I'm not sure if there is a DBIC metadata
problem or not, and the whole project is moot now.

Basically, I have the 'me.id' in the order_by, and we shipped with it, though
it looked like it may have been a major cause in some slowdowns (probably not
DBIC, but just the whole model). And then I left the project, and then the
project died (I'm not saying those two were related ;) ).

I'm going to be trying to resurrect the project under a new name now that I
have a new job, and the part of the code that was being affected by all this
is going to be ripped out and not replaced, it was for a feature we're going
to explicitly disallow in the resurrected project.

Thanks, though. And glad to see you're back :)

Thanks,

Darin