[Epo-ec-advisors] Deployability Article

mike at altrion.org mike at altrion.org
Tue Jul 7 14:08:13 GMT 2009

> Today http://www.siberian.org/2009/06/26/deployability/ came up in the
> Perl Signals list that Jess Robinson produces. It seems to cover some
> of the issues that I want us to focus on, and specifically compares
> the "Standard" Perl process to Java + Apache-Commons. Looking at the
> Apache Commons that's sort of the idea I want to "borrow" from
> (embrace and extend?) for the EPO-EC. The Commons are at
> http://commons.apache.org/ with an aging article at
> http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/06/25/commons.html.
>
> Does the siberian.org article reflect your experiences?

Interestingly, I was just considering this very problem and related ones -
how to get (effectively) healthy chunks of the EC onto various somewhat
resistant servers :D ("Well, we'd like to use Moose, but it involves
installing lots of stuff. If you were using Java...")

What technologies are available to us for this? cpan, cpanp, PAR, local::lib?
I'm guessing one of the main drivers is that it should require as little
installed s/w as possible?