[Epo-ec-advisors] Some thoughts on areas to address in the EC

Robin Berjon robin at berjon.com
Thu Jul 23 14:00:39 GMT 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 16:14 , Chris Prather wrote:
>> From my experience (limited hands on, but a member of the AxKit
>> community for
> going on 8 years now) this really comes down to use XML::LibXML,
> XML::SAX (and
> a few helper modules like XML::Generator::PerlData and
> XML::SAX::Writer) and
> possibly XML::Twig. I'm *personally* working on an XML::Toolkit that
> leverages
> XML::SAX for marshaling XML to and from Moose objects but it's not
> emerged yet
> as a clear generic "solution". I am updating Task::Kensho to include
> these
> modules.
>
> If someone has had different experiences I'm all ears. It isn't set
> in stone
> until the end of this month/beginning of next when I go to make a
> Task::EPO::EC.

I'd flag XML::LibXSLT as one you can't miss. I think a fair number of
people use XML::Simple for, well, some simple stuff like reading
configuration files. I would definitely include XML::Twig — its
interface may occasionally seem a bit strange but that's because it
grew organically and has the same vernacularity as Unix. It's
definitely enterprise quality, and is the most convenient way of
processing multi-gigabyte XML documents without having to do all the
state maintenance yourself, as in SAX.

My list would be:
   XML::LibXML
   XML::LibXSLT
   XML::SAX
   XML::SAX::Writer
   XML::Twig
   XML::Simple

Very useful but probably too rarely used:
   XML::SAX::Machines
   XML::XSH

There are many other options out there, and some might actually be
used by large communities without us knowing. But given that it's
easier to add things than to remove them, I'd stick to the above (and
of course their dependencies) for now.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/