[Epo-marketing] Thoughts on writing marketing stuff

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 18:51:13 GMT 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Chris Prather wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:28 AM, Mike Whitaker <mike at altrion.org>
> wrote:
>
>> - In a similar vein, promote Perl, rather than knock down other
>> languages.
>>
>>       Comparisons are fine. Fact corrections are fine - "Actually,
>> Perl
>> does do X'... We're not in the business, I don't believe, of
>> selling Perl as
>> the best language ever (even thought it is :) :) :) :) ), but of
>> repairing
>> the perception of Perl as an enterprise language.
>
> Actually this should apply to more than just Perl vs Language X. We
> have too much bitter infighting between Perl projects. Jifty vs
> Catalyst vs blah. The recently blow up on shika vs. Mouse really
> needled me, less so because Shika was re-writing a wheel but because
> of the number of comments I heard about how "stupid" that was. If and
> when we (as an organization not as people) *ever* want to criticize
> something ... something from Language X or something from inside the
> Perl community, we need to keep the same bar ... and keep it raised
> incredibly high. Infighting looks just as bad as being nasty to
> guests.

I may be wrong, but I've found Catalyst and Jifty to exist happily
together.  Both projects are serving slightly different users (Jifty
is their way, Catalyst is many ways) -- and Dave Rolsky had an
excellent write-up on it.

I'm not above recommending folks use Jifty, and I know that I've heard
from people who wanted more flexibility told to check out Catalyst.

But yeah, Shika v. Mouse is silly.

-J