[Epo-marketing] Perl statistics

Jason Kuri jayk at ion0.com
Wed Dec 17 23:25:16 GMT 2008

Hello All,

Matt suggested I send over some perl related statistics and that
someone might want to place it somewhere on enlightened perl.org.
This is not comprehensive by any means, but it's all I could get
together today.

Availability of software modules:

	CPAN is the largest collection of software modules available under
any language

	Ruby / Rails - Everyone has heard of Ruby / Rails-
		RubyForge - module repository - Total projects:  6,990

         Python - Another popular language -
		Python Package Index - Total Projects: 5,335

	CPAN - The Comprehensive Perl Archive Network -
		Module repository - Total Projects:  14,823

Are they old?  No.

Module freshness - based on counts from http://cpan.org/modules/01modules.index.html

2008-12:         405
2008-11:	 595
2008-10:	 490
2008-09:	 397
2008-08:	 405
2008-07:	 417
2008-06:	 445

Modules updated or added in the last six months:	3154

2008:			4772
2007:			2309
2006:			1824
2005:			1654
2004:			1264

This means that 21% of the modules on CPAN are less than 6 months old.
nearly a third of the modules are less than a year old.   And nearly
half are less than 24 months old.

Active users on CPAN contributing modules:  7033

The Perl language itself has averaged a new release every 4-5 months
since 2003.

There are 386 active geographically organized perl user groups around
the world.
Of these, 108 are in the U.S, 121 are in Europe.

That's all I've got, for good or ill.

Jay