[Epo-marketing] Re: [Epo-members-announce] Adding Padre, the Perl IDE as and EPO project

Jay Kuri jayk at ionzero.com
Sun Feb 14 02:07:25 GMT 2010

Hi Christopher,

I see your point regarding existing tools and scratching developer =

itches but I have to respectfully disagree here.
Remember, EPO is not only about improving code, it is very much about =

improving how Perl is perceived and how easy it is to get Perl used in =

the enterprise.

Point 1 of EPO's aims ( as documented here: =

http://www.enlightenedperl.org/about.html ) is:

 > 1) Improvements to the public facing parts of existing Perl projects, =

including design and content organisation and
 > accessibility, by co-operation with the projects involved to see =

where their volunteer capacity is lacking;

I think Padre provides a massive improvement in the public facing =

aspects of writing Perl code.  Like it or not, people, especially =

executives, often judge technologies by what tools are available to work =

with them.  Padre does a great job of being both a general purpose =

editor and a Perl specific toolset / environment.  It also improves =

Perl's image in general by making Perl more accessible to newcomers =

(especially with context sensitive help)  Which is in line with Point 2 =

and 5 of EPO's aims:

 > 2) Eliciting the creation and/or improvement of tutorials, =

screencasts, books, reference documentation, training courses
 > and other accessible documentation to make it easier for new users to =

get started with modern Perl;

 > 5) Grants for development of specific pieces of code that scratch no =

developer's itch, but make corporate
 > and/or hobbyist adoption of enlightened Perl easier;

Padre makes it easier to get started with Perl full stop.  With the =

possible exception of streamlining CPAN installation, Padre meets all of =

the code related goals stated by the EPO itself.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find another project that is in line =

with so many of EPOs goals at once.

Jay

-- =

Jay Kuri